Wednesday 30 November 2011

What advice would you give to newly-weds?

What advice would you give to newly-weds. "Don't get married" I hear some of you shout! "Don't be so cynical" I shout back (I actually whisper as I've got a sore throat)!
I've been married twice myself. My love life would've made a good fly on the wall documentary but I'm delighted to say that my hubs is by far the best thing that ever happened too me (and he didn't have an affair after five years either)! 
My advice to newly-weds or those who are moving in together is-

•Wash the pots together
Then one person isn't left to do it all on there own feeling bitter and wondering how to make dog food pie for their partner. 
Also this brings the opportunity for some fun with the bubbles!
Those of you with dishwashers are missing out.
•Never go to bed on an argument.
One of you will find it very hard to sleep and will become even more angry when there partner is in the land of nod as soon as their head hits the pillow, snoring as loud as they can "just to piss you off". While the other one lays awake looking  on the Internet on their mobile/cell phone for the ingredients for dog food pie.  
Also, it's fun to make up at bedtime! (nudge,nudge)

• Stop the jealousy. 
Jealousy is an awful emotion that most people (not all) grow out of as they mature when they realise it's pointless. 
Think of it this way, we all look, maybe even flirt but that doesn't mean we love our partners any less. That works both ways. 
If the one you love is going to have an affair then jealousy won't stop them, in fact it's more likely to push them away.
Also, remember that they wouldn't be making this commitment unless they loved you. 
Maybe it's time you loved yourself!


• Respect each other.
If you're annoyed with something they've done then tell them. Don't go title tattling to your friends. 
Also, this is a way of getting to know each other and why they do that thing that annoys the hell out of you. Not dog food pies required!
•Make each other laugh.
You have to have fun together, life can be a serious business which needs lightening up. Find your sense of humour and use it. It's a good feeling when you make your other half really laugh out loud, and listen, you're laughing too. 
Also, have you heard that saying "laugh them into bed". Enough said!

Well, there you have it, that's my advice, take it or leave it! 
Just to let you know, I make my hubs laugh loads!(wink wink)
Also I've never ever made dog food pie!

So, what advice would you give to newly-weds?

5 comments:

  1. Helen (ex colleague)30 November 2011 at 10:42

    Great blog as always. The only thing I can think of to add is not to end up always in each others pockets. Go out together and enjoy yourselves, but don't neglect your friends and family - maintain your own 'social' seoarate lives. Also 'read the signs' and know when to give each other 'space'.

    Look forward to reading next blog soon ...

    Take care

    Helen (ex colleague)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Helen, in principal, but problems can start when one of the couple wants lots more space than the other. A couple i know split up because one of them wanted to go out separately too often. It's all about compromise as I'm sure you'll agree.
    I'm pleased you're liking my blogs! I've always wanted to write but never had the time with the grandstands to organise! Though I do miss the laughs we had!
    Keep reading & commenting!
    Lots of love
    Chelle x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen (ex colleague)4 December 2011 at 11:17

    Totally agree about compromise! Youre a natural with the writing Chelle - that's what makes your blogs such good reading. You seem to get EVERY angle worked out. Brilliant!

    Hxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen (ex colleague)4 December 2011 at 11:20

    What about one along the lines of who do you spend Xmas with? Parents, In-laws, friends? Does everyone always come to you? Would you want to go away for Xmas to 'bah humbug' it all .....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the compliment Helen, it's very nice of you to say.
    I'll write your suggestion this week sometime, thanks for the idea!

    Take care x

    ReplyDelete